Jacqueline Doré and her inspirational life with Tetralogy of Fallot

Jacqui had wrote this for me to post back in January before she passed away. Jacqui was a fantastic women who was such a fighter and defied all the odds. She was a pleasure to know, read what she wrote and you will agree

Medical History
Jacqueline Doré -5th November 1952 - 25th January 2012

Diagnosis Tetralogy of Fallot

1952- Royal Children’s Hospital, Liverpool - Blalock-Tausig Shunt
1958- Royal Children’s Hospital, Liverpool - Infundibular resection (closed)

1972- Bristol Royal Infirmary, Bristol - Closure of VSD and resection RV outflow tract obstruction.
1972 - Post op septicaemia requiring a repeat sternotomy for haemorrhage.

2000- Derriford Hospital -Plymouth - VT requiring DC Cardioversion. VT stimulation studies demonstrated VT inducible from RV.

2000- UCL - London - Cardiac catheterisation resulting in dissection of proximal left artery requiring emergency stenting of the LAD. B) Post stenting cardiac catheter required pacing (permanent atrial wire), for bradycardia with slow junctional rhythm. Also developed pulmonary haemorrhage during GA resulting in significant clot in left lung - debunked with forceps with good outcome.
TOE demonstrated massive right heart dilatation, severe regurgitation and pulmonary regurgitation.

2001 - UCL - London- Pulmonary valve replacement with 27mm Bovine pericardial valve and tricuspid repair.

2005 - Derriford Hospital, Plymouth - VT requiring DC Cardioversion. ICD Implanted.
2008 - Atrial Fibrilation, Heart Block - Shocked 9 times ICD Controlled, change of medication - lost licence.
2011 - ICD Box changed. (March)

2011 - Southampton General Hospital - Percutaneous Pulmonary valve - procedure aborted. (Oct)
2011 - Southampton General Hospital  - Hybrid Pulmonary Valve replacement - cancelled due to funding issues.

2011 Dec - Jan 2012 - Derriford Hospital - Congestive right-sided heart failure, admitted for diuresis.

Well in spite of my history appearing somewhat daunting, there have been some good times and bad times whilst in hospital. But I will just highlight the good or significant points that I remember.

Whilst in an oxygen tent after my surgery in 1952 at the age of three, I can remember trying to peel back the zip so that I could get a drink of water! Also having a tiny baby placed in my arms and asked to look after it whilst the nurses were cleaning the incubator. How I enjoyed cuddling that tiny baby, even though I was not much more than a baby myself. A week later I got into awful trouble, a little boy and I got out of the ward on to the veranda (balcony) and hid in the coal bunker as we could not get back out again, and tried to eat the coal! We were missing for hours a search mounted around the hospital. It was only when someone came to fill up the coal scuttle they found us. We were placed in a large bath and given a good scrub with a huge scrubbing brush and carbolic soap - ouch how it hurt. The nurse was shouting at me, but being profoundly deaf all I could see was her looking angry and her mouth opening and shutting.

The ward was very large with a huge low square table, with tiny captains chairs. near a large stove fire in the middle of the ward. The fire had an enormous nursery guard, often draped with nappies drying. In the night sat by the flickering fire, were the nurses bottle feeding the babies. Behind my bed was a large window and outside a belisha beacon, flashing away. Even at a tender age I had thoughts of throwing things out the window to put out the light!

I had my third and eight birthday’s in hospital and a lovely cake was made. Father Christmas came and brought us all presents the next month. I did not get to go to the panto - boo. I had a fear of kidney dishes, whenever I saw a nurse coming my way I used to dive under the covers; but soon learnt by observation that if a nurse was approaching me with a kidney dish - followed by two more nurses, that meant injections. Boy - did I put up a fight………

My time in Bristol, was traumatic but life saving, I made several friends and have continued to correspond with them to this day. After one of my ops, I was on a high from the morphine and was convinced little men where coming out of the flowers and dancing all over my bed. - No more flowers.

Whilst in London, back on the main ward surrounded by men and on oxygen, they flitted me to the day room reconnected my tubes and we watched videos and munched through their chocolates. In the afternoons, we all watched Wimbledon. Or rugby matches, the nurses used to say to us all if your blood pressures have gone up we shall remove the television! Hazel watch out.

At Derriford one of the nurses was getting married so they made confetti out of punching holes out of paper and scattered the all over her. Oops someone was coming so a male nurse ran to the loo and came back with a lavatory brush to sweep it up.

The camaraderie you get from other patients, sitting up comforting them and holding their hands and others doing likewise to you is wonderful.

This Christmas we had the Steve from the Hospital radio and the nurses all wore wonderful hats and tights. One had large flowery tights on light Bumble in Alice in Wonderland. Tammy and I create riot in a nice way and it was all over the hospital on the Radio!! The nurses don’t go around the wards singing carols like they used to, the radio made up for it.

Wrote by Jacqueline Doré
15th January 2011

RIP Jacqui