Depending on the severity of the CHD, you maybe entitled to obtain benefits.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is tax-free cash to help towards extra costs your child with a disability may face.

It is understandable that it is a sensitive issue to describe your child as being disabled. But having a child with a CHD can have a big impact on parents. For example, if your child has difficulties with walking because they get out of breath easily and/or tire more quickly. There may also be a problem with feeding such as he/she is on continuous feeds with an NG Tube. It means that it takes longer to do certain things and may need more effort.

You can read more about DLA here and see if you or your child is eligable.

The form to claim DLA is a difficult one and it is our advice to ask for help when filling it in. We recommend that you put the names and contact addresses in of the medical staff who are regularly involved in your child’s care because they know your child’s condition. They will be contacted by the DLA office to verify what you have written down and this way you improve the chance for a positive outcome.

For people living in Northern-Ireland
If you need help filling in the forms for Disability Living Allowance or want advice, you can contact Disability Action who have offices throughout the province. For more information click here: DIsability Action

Carer’s Allowance
If your child gets DLA care component at the middle or highest rate, and you are caring for them for 35 hours a week or more, you may be able to get Carer’s Allowance.

You should make a claim for Carer’s Allowance at the same time as you claim DLA, so that you do not loose any benefit.

For more information click here: Carer’s Allowance

Blue badge
You are automatically eligible to apply for a badge if you are over two years old and either:

• receive the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA),
• are registered blind,
• receive a War Pensioner’s Mobility Supplement.

You may also be eligible for a badge if you are over two years old and either:

• have a permanent and substantial disability which means you cannot walk, or which makes walking very difficult,
• drive a motor vehicle regularly, have a severe disability in both arms, and are unable to operate all or some types of parking meter (or would find it very difficult to operate them)

If you are a parent of a child who is less than two years old, you may apply for a badge for your child if they have a specific medical condition which means that they either:

• must always be accompanied by bulky medical equipment which cannot be carried around without great difficulty,
• need to be kept near a vehicle at all times, so that they can, if necessary, be treated in the vehicle, or quickly driven to a place where they can be treated, such as a hospital.

You can apply for a blue badge at your local authority. To find the your nearest local authority click here

Other help

You may be able to get other help for your child when they get DLA. You may get an extra amount in Income Support, Housing Benefitor Child Tax credit.

If you have problems filling out the DLA form or need advice with the form or for appealing. Contact A Family are a charity set up to help families with disabled children. To contact Contact A Family click here.

Note: Adult CHD’ers are also entitled to these benefits.

Always inform them otherwise you might loose money!!!

There is a card that gives you a free admission into cinemas: