Travel and Life Insurance for Congenital Heart Defects

It is strongly recommended that you consult with your GP before purchasing health insurance over the phone or via the internet. The health declarations are in extreme detail and require information of conditions and medications going back years. These details will all be checked if you later try to make a claim. Any omissions or mistakes you make can be used as grounds to refuse your claim. This is equally true for conditions other than heart disease.

The following list of insurance companies has been compiled from the feedback received from heart patients. You may find that the type and cost of the cover offered will vary depending on your individual condition and where you will be travelling to.

When you contact the companies, you may be asked to call a medical screening number who will then give you a reference to quote back to the insurance company. It is important to always read any small print on any policy you are offered.

The contact details for the insurance companies are on the following pages. However, below is information on EHIC (E111) and E112 which you may also need to consider.

While an EHIC is not a substitute for insurance, it is important to have one. A European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) entitles UK citizens to free or reduced-cost, sometimes free, medical treatment that becomes necessary while you‟re in a European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland.

The EEA consists of the European Union (EU) countries plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. Switzerland applies the EHIC arrangements through an agreement with the EU. The EHIC is valid in:
Austria, Belgium, Cyprus (but not Northern Cyprus), Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and United Kingdom because it reduces medical costs, your insurer may require you to have one.

The EHIC is normally valid for three to five years and covers any medical treatment that becomes necessary during your trip, because of either illness or an accident. The card gives access to state-provided medical treatment only. This might not cover all the things you’d expect to get free of charge from the NHS in the UK. You may have to make a contribution to the cost of your care.

The EHIC also covers any treatment you need for a chronic disease or pre-existing illness. You need to make arrangements in advance for kidney dialysis and oxygen therapy. To arrange for kidney dialysis while you’re away, contact your NHS renal unit in the UK before you travel. For limited information on oxygen supply services in the EEA countries and Switzerland, call the Department of Health’s Customer Service Centre on 020 7210 4850.

The EHIC won’t cover you if getting medical treatment is the main purpose of your trip. You are advised to take out comprehensive private insurance for visits to all countries, regardless of whether you are covered by your EHIC.

For further information contact the Department of Health, Customer Service Centre:
Tel: 020 7210 4850
Web: Health Advice for Travellers

An E112 may give you the option of undergoing medical or surgical treatment in other EU countries. On page 36 of the booklet “Health Advice for Travellers” you will find information about how to apply for funding. Your consultant should write a letter explaining your condition and your need for treatment. The trust or health authority must confirm its agreement to fund the treatment. You will also need to have a completed a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

For a list of Insurance companies, click on the links below:
Travel Insurance
Life Insurance